Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Manga: Monster: Volumes 10 and 11


Volume 10: A-
Volume 11: B+

Monster Volume 10 introduces 2 really interesting characters that have come to be two of my favorites in the series. Something I love about Monster is how it concentrates on other characters. Dr. Tenma is not in all that much of Volume 10 despite being the protagonist. The series introduces characters by letting us se events from their point of view and not from the point of view of the protagonist. This widens the scope of the series and gives us a much deeper understanding of the characters that come in and out of the story. So in Volume 10 we are introduced to Grimmer and Jan Suk. Grimmer has become my favorite character in the series and I sincerely hope he stick around for a while. Jan Suk is great as well. I am amazed that he survived.

Volume 11 continues us following Grimmer and Suk although Tenma becomes a much bigger part of things here. I do not remember which we learn this in but at some point, we learn that the person that Suk was talking to that we had been led to believe was Anna was in fact JOhan which was a terrifying discovery. I wish I remembered more and I hope to have a more thorough review in the future of volumes but I read these two yesterday and they are blending together for me. Since I doubt I will find a better manga series I would like to remember my thoughts on this particular one better than I have written here.

No comments:

Post a Comment